Christmas on Arctic Expeditions
This could look very different and could range from rather plain to very creative. But let’s take a look at some Christmas celebrations.
On HMS Alert under the command of Captain George Strong Nares, Christmas 1875 she was frozen in the Lincoln Sea north of Ellesmere Island, there the officers were led below deck by a drum and pipe band to the strains of “Roast Beef of Old England”. The officers saw the men’s quarters “tastefully decorated with flags, colored tinsel paper, and artificial flowers”.
The crew on Arctic ships ate around lunchtime, and Christmas dinner usually consisted of preserved vegetables, beef that had been frozen in the rigging, and local game if it was available. Desserts and sweets were particularly sought after. Plum pudding and mince pies were essential components of the traditional British Christmas at this time, and the inclusion of these foods in the celebrations worked – as a reminder that the men were connected to their loved ones at home through these special foods.
Officers usually dined in the armory at around 3 pm. The food included wine, of course, and it was of better quality than that of the crew. In 1852, Captain Henry Kellett of HMS Resolute even enjoyed a completely preserved Christmas dinner from the exclusive London department stores’ Fortnum & Mason.
After dinner, there were toasts, music, games, and general merriment. Just as the ship’s newspapers and theatrical performances inspired the crew’s creativity, singing together helped the men relax and cope with the stress of long expeditions. What was also very liberating was a party with costumes like the one on board HMS Terror under the command of Captain George Back in 1836, where all kinds of costumes were designed and worn.
“Arctic Amusements” aboard HMS Terror, 1836, by Lt. Owen Stanley
But why was Christmas celebrated so intensely? You have to remember that what we associate with Christmas today, the good food, the merriment, and time with loved ones, first came about in the 1840s as part of Christmas traditions.
Expedition commanders sought to foster camaraderie on board by preparing these festivities and promoting the well-being of their crews through the symbolic presence of wives and loved ones, who were acknowledged through toasts, dressing in their best and opening gifts. And incidentally what many were not so aware of was that the consumption of fresh meat, dried fruits, and sweets also provided their crews with a significant – if temporary – nutritional boost. A psychological balm and physical respite from the dreaded scurvy, Christmas was more than just a meal: it was a celebration of light and hope, and a crucial moral boost for the men on the dangerous expeditions in the eternal ice.
A whistleblower revealed in Kari Lake’s filing that HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of ballots had no chain of custody documentation. This is a shocking and massive violation of the law. Twenty-five thousand ballots were added to Maricopa County’s totals after election day with no explanation of why the number of remaining ballots could increase. Also, tens if not HUNDREDS of thousands of mail-in ballots with mismatched signatures were illegally counted in violation of Arizona law.
The trial is scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday) and the day after this week, and the results could be huge. It could very well lead to the elimination of the election results in Arizona, changing the outcome of both the governor’s race and the US Senate race.
* Fun on Epstein’s Island – One of Jeffrey Epstein’s child sex trafficking victims has told a court that she made copies of tapes showing VIP elites raping children and committing other heinous crimes. If it comes out, that would be good, but I wouldn’t sell Sarah Ransome a life insurance policy. There were a lot of very powerful people who traveled to the Island to rape and likely snuff children. Stay tuned to this one.
Ransome even claims to have copies which she has stored at several secure locations around Europe and says she fears retaliation by Epstein even though he is dead. The bombshell claim gives new insight into the long-held theory that Epstein blackmailed his wealthy male friends with secretly recorded videos of them having sex with underage girls he provided.
Ransome, who was born in South Africa and moved to Scotland aged 14, was lured into Epstein’s web by one of his recruiters after coming to New York to become a model.
* California Screaming? Claudio suggested that it is time for my adult children to gather their young children and flee California. I’ve warned them, but I also understand their perspectives on the matter. There’s a lot of insanity in that state, which is why people leave and U-Hauls are booked a year out at 4x what I paid when I made my Calexit. It used to be a nice place.
* Let’s go Brandon – PJ Media (Robert Spencer, who I’ve met) discusses Old Pedo Joe and his tall tales. The article is sad but entertaining. If old Pedo Joe was a conservative, the media would tear him apart, dementia notwithstanding.
* Imagine saying men can’t be lesbians…You don’t want to risk being labeled a TERF, or trans-exclusionary radical feminist, and getting canceled. I can’t imagine how it would feel to be canceled by freaks and misfits. I don’t know if my little heart could take it.
* Burying the FTX Angle – The collapse of the cryptocurrency company FTX could be as massive a scandal for Democrats as the Democrats insisted the Enron debacle was for former President George W. Bush. The man who took over the wreckage of Enron is now in charge of managing the end of FTX.
Our largest national media outlets are going to bury the point that FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried (SBF) was the second-largest donor to the Democratic Party in the 2022 election cycle, with over $40 million in contributions, second only to socialist agitator George Soros. The former crypto king made one of the largest donations to Joe Biden’s presidential campaign in 2020—a cool $5.2 million.
In today’s Twitter release we found out just how close the FBI was with Twitter. The social media giant had so many ‘former’ FBI agents employed at the company that the FBI agents started their own private Slack channel. I wonder where they’ll gravitate to now that they’ve been fired?