From our Virtual Mirage Reporters (at large)
It’s not only M&M’s for lesbians and overweight women. Queer Skittles (taste the rainbow) are now available. If you’re not woke now, you may be after eating them. One day each grievance group will have its own candy. Thanks to Mike_C.
Thank you Frank for clarifying that it’s neither a strip club nor a whorehouse.
The Addams family reboot looks LEGIT, PaulM
The new Senator from the great state of Pennsylvania. I’m sure that they’re very proud. (h/t PaulM) It goes to show that no matter how moronic you are or how goofy you look, you can still have a bright future as a US Senator.
* Firemen make bank – (The Center Square) – Eighty-six Los Angeles Fire Department employees made more than $400,000 in 2022, including a fire captain who made $712,933 last year.
That fire captain was the highest-paid employee in the city. The captain had a base pay of $169,764 and was paid $502,681 for overtime, along with $19,637 in other pay and personnel benefits of $20,851. In 2021, the highest-paid employee also was a fire captain. That captain made $434,394 in overtime in 2021, for total pay of $598,532.
* A Trump-era rule sought to impose a “most favored nation” status on the prescription drug industry. It mandated that drug companies could not charge American citizens more than what’s charged in other countries for the same medicine. Currently, Americans “subsidize” the rest of the world’s drugs by paying far more for many prescriptions than foreigners pay in other countries. Some drugs that cost hundreds of dollars here in the US are sold for pennies elsewhere. The Trump rule was never enacted.
The following is a relevant excerpt from Reuters.
Drugmakers including Pfizer Inc (PFE.N), GlaxoSmithKline PLC (GSK.L), Bristol Myers Squibb (BMY.N), AstraZeneca PLC (AZN.L) and Sanofi SA (SASY.PA) plan to raise prices in the United States on more than 350 unique drugs in early January, according to data analyzed by healthcare research firm 3 Axis Advisors.
The increases are expected to come as the pharmaceutical industry prepares for the Biden Administration’s Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), which allows the government’s Medicare health program to negotiate prices directly for some drugs starting in 2026.
* The following is an excerpt from Becker’s Hospital Review.
More than 200 hospitals in the U.S. are at immediate risk of closing because of financial losses and a lack of financial reserves to sustain operations, according to the Center for Healthcare Quality and Payment Reform.
All but seven states have at least one rural hospital at immediate risk of shutting down. Six states have half or more of their rural hospitals at high risk of shuttering. Texas had the most with 76, while Hawaii had the highest percentage of at-risk rural hospitals with 75 percent.
Across the U.S., 631 rural hospitals — more than 29 percent nationwide — are either at immediate or high risk of closure. Those at high risk either have low financial reserves or high dependence on nonpatient service revenues such as local taxes or state subsidies, according to the report.
View the state-by-state listing of rural hospitals at risk of closing as of October 2022 by clicking here.
* An internal Twitter document published by journalist Matt Taibbi has revealed that the United States (US) intelligence community warned the tech company about the publicity surrounding a book from a former Ukrainian prosecutor that claimed President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden, were involved in corruption in Ukraine.
The book, “True Stories Of Joe Biden’s International Corruption In Ukraine” was written by Viktor Shokin, who served as Ukraine’s top prosecutor between February 10, 2015 and March 29, 2016. In the book, Shokin alleged that Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company that had Hunter Biden on its board, paid Hunter millions of dollars to prevent prosecutors from taking action against Burisma.
Shokin also claimed that then Vice President Joe Biden had ordered Shokin to be fired before he could take action against Burisma. In January 2018, Joe Biden bragged about withholding $1 billion in aid to Ukraine until Shokin was fired.
* File this one under, “That’s Racist!” By way of compensation and reparation, Pedo Joe should be required to go among the public in DC and sniff at least 1000 black people against their will.
* MikeW’s memoirs have cleared the first edit and after banging out the manuscript a few more times it will be available in digital format. In due time Hunting in the Shadows will also be available in print.
* WASHINGTON — Canada on Monday announced plans to buy 88 F-35A Joint Strike Fighters for CA$19 billion (U.S. $14 billion). Defence Minister Anita Anand said in an online briefing the Royal Canadian Air Force would receive its first four Lockheed Martin-made F-35s in 2026, with the next six in 2027 and another six in 2028. The remainder would come in subsequent years.
Meme of the day