|2017 Ford Raptor|
At the time of this post, this is what we know:
- The Raptor will be 500 pounds lighter than the current model.
Aluminum unibody will replace steel I-beam
- The new Raptor’s engine will be a 3.5L Ecoboost V6 with a new aluminum block and upgraded internals, revised heads, and tweaked fuel-delivery equipment for a rumored 450-500HP.
Same horsepower with a 3.5 liter V-6 as currently delivered from a 6.2 liter V-8…doable, but there are trade-offs that Ford is not discussing. Will the new engine be as reliable as the present power plant? I’ll eat popcorn and watch.
- The new Raptor will be ~6″ wider than the standard new model 2015 F-150.
No change there. The current Raptor is ~6″ wider than the F-150 — almost as wide as a Hummer.
- Rumored 10-speed transmission.
Trying to squeeze every drop of gasoline.
- Paddle shifters!
Nice, but not necessary in my opinion. You can manually shift at present but I don’t because the power is quite sufficient to throw you back into the seat. The Raptor is functionally the truck equivalent of a Corvette.
- 6 Upfitter (AUX) switches.
Two more than presently offered.
- Push button start!
I prefer a push button start, but absent one, the key is good enough.
2017 Ford Raptor: