Just because it’s October
* More Bad News for the Vaxers – A study by Japanese researchers published in June in the Journal of Clinical Medicine showed that acute corneal allografts may be rejected by those who have recently received Covid shots. Corneal grafts replace damaged corneas, the outer layer of the eye. Corneal grafts can restore lost vision and, historically, corneal grafts have been one of the most successful organ transplants with a very low rejection rate.
* Johnnie Walker – Red Label is a blend of 35 single-grain and single-malt whiskies, all of which qualify as Scotch under the strict laws of that country. It’s designed for mixing into cocktails.
Black Label is a blend of 40 single-malts and single grains, all of which are Scotch and all at least 12 years old. It is made to be sipped neat.
Green Label is a blend of 15-year-old single-malts. There’s no single-grain whisky in it.
Blue Label is made from casks their master blender has found to be exceptionally special. The brewer claims that only one out of every 10,000 casks has “the right stuff” to be part of this blend.
* The Great NY Gun Buy-Back– h/t PaulM – New York Attorney General Letitia James is an idiot. But I’m not complaining because she identifies as both a negro and a woman (whatever that is). What would it be like if the left had smart people in office rather than absolute morons?
* The Russian T-90 – Soviet doctrine dictated that a lower profile was better and safer. Thus, T-72, T-84 and T-90 Soviet (Russian) Main Battle Tanks had increasingly lower profile turrets. The lower profile meant that fewer crewmen could be present inside. The loader/gun servicer was selected and replaced by an auto-loading system. This resulted in a large number of cartridges stored inside the tank (as opposed to a semi-external storage space in the turret’s bustle). An added feature of the autoloader was that there was little place for the cartridge casings to be stored/easily ejected after use. A cartridge was designed so that the casing, itself, would combust on firing and a small base plate could be ejected.
Lessons learned in Ukraine: Any penetrating hit with a hot projectile, even if it was a solid sabot, would ignite the stored ammunition and incinerated both the tank and crew.
* Should we have a Viking Day too? I’m not saying that we should ignore Columbus Day, but the Vikings arrived before he did. They deserve a day of their own, a day of wild celebration of the Norse.
A 20th-century find suggests that the Vikings may have explored North America as far south as New York. Although the reasons for its presence in Charles Point are contested, no one can deny the fact that the spearhead unearthed by Augustus Hoffman in 1929 is of Nordic origin. With precious little evidence about how or why the artifact ended up in the Great Lakes Region, researchers rely on ancient tales and legends to explain the mystery of the spearhead.
* The Republicans are not more committed to preserving the Constitution than the Democrats are to destroying it.
* Tom Clancy: “What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms, and killing people. It’s not good at much else.”
* At this rate, they’re going to cancel shampoo so that bald people aren’t offended.
* Roses are red, Camela’s not black; Joe has dementia, and Hunter’s on crack.
I’ll take a Hard Pass (h/t Frank)
Identify the Tank