The Cost of War
The older brother of a US Marine killed in the Kabul bombing last August due to Joe Biden’s botched withdrawal committed suicide at the memorial for the fallen soldier.
You’ll recall that 13 US service members were killed and many more were wounded last August in a suicide blast in Kabul because of Joe Biden’s corruption and incompetence.
The end of a conflict doesn’t signal the end of pain and suffering for those who participated or the families of those who participated or died.
* Catholics, give up your rosaries. Atlantic Monthly contributor Daniel Panneton declared that the Catholic rosary has become a “symbol” of religious radicalism. How much more woke can you be? Will you listen to your betters and destroy this symbol of prayer and devotion to Jesus Christ?
* It Wasn’t Us! The White House panics as the Mar-a-Lago raid backfires – Brandon is throwing Garland, DOJ, and the creeps at FBI under the bus. The Brandon regime denies all knowledge that it knew that the raid would take place while Creepy Joe and his family were on vacation.
* Michelle Obama, is waiting for her shot at the presidency, which would be Barack’s fourth term.
* Two months before an FBI raid on former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, one of his lawyers certified that no classified documents were at the estate, according to Fox News.
* Requiem for a near stranger (RIP). It’s odd when you are invited to speak at a funeral and you barely knew the deceased. “But you’re such a good public speaker!”
I don’t know what they wanted me to say. I always valued the way he didn’t steal my lunch. That he died in a scientifically interesting way? Wait…is dying the most interesting thing that he ever did? It’s one hell of an epitaph and benediction.
* The cowboy hat has been declared to be a symbol of racism, homophobia, and possibly even Islamophobia. This leads me to conclude that Barack was either engaging in cultural appropriation or he’s a racist – but since he’s queer, can he also be a homophobe? He’s a closeted Muslim so can he be Islamophobic? Irrespective of what the Half-Blood Prince did, the only way to be safe from accusations from the woke would be to destroy your cowboy hats. If one is found in your closet when the FBI is executing a search warrant, it would make your affiliation clear and you don’t want THAT to happen.
Ramjet Artillery Shells vs AGS
There are two links to this. First this one, and second this one. There are two ways to look at this new concept in tube artillery. The first is that it will price the ammunition out of the market and we’ll be back to standard rounds. The second has to do with precision, making each round count.
A little over a year ago, Norwegian ammunition company Nammo rolled out an “extreme range” artillery concept using ramjet propulsion, but that was just the beginning.
You can do a great deal with tube artillery but eventually as the barrels get longer and the rounds fly faster, the rifling will suffer from physics because materials and friction experience that cause and effect. That’s why rail guns have been such popular concepts. The magnetic acceleration is not wearing out metal barrels and the projectiles go about as fast as they can go without melting in flight.
The Navy toyed (big time) with the 155 mm/62 (6.1″) Mark 51 Advanced Gun System (AGS) – formerly VGAS – and put them on the DDG-1000 class (Zumwalt) ships. In June 2005, a Northrop Grumman press release stated that “The LRLAP Guided Flight-four (GF-04) gun test marked the longest successful guided-projectile test in history. The barrels of these guns use polygonal rifling instead of conventional rifling. Polygonal rifling is shaped like an arc, whereas conventional rifling is squared off at the edges. Polygonal rifling seals in the gasses slightly better than conventional rifling, as there are no sharp corners in the rifling for gas to escape through ahead of the projectile. However, this means that the driving bands for the projectiles must be specially made to work with this type of rifling. The drawback was that EACH ROUND cost around $1 million.
The Navy was accustomed to paying a lot to Beltway Bandits for everything, but even they recoiled at the price of shore bombardment. The Zumwalt Class is being refitted to fire Navy Standard Missiles now.
Can Nammo produce cost-effective ramjet artillery shells? That’s the question.